Moving schools can be a time full of excitement and new experiences, but may be challenging for some. Our transition program ensures that students feel prepared and supported.
We invite new families to tour our school and see us in action. During term 1 each year, we hold an Open Night to showcase our school, our student achievements and specialist programs. In addition, you may wish to join one of our Principal’s Tours, which take place throughout the year.
Starting high school
The year 7 to 8 school transition process is managed by the Department for Education. At the end of term 1, year 7 students attending a government school receive a Starting Secondary School transition pack from their primary school, including a Registration of Interest form.
For enrolment in other year levels, or for year 7 students enrolled at a non-government school, please contact us for an enrolment information pack on 8557 0100 or complete the Enrolment Enquiry form.
Year 7 public school students will be taught in our school from term 1, 2022.
This means that from 2022, year 6 will be the last year of primary school and year 7 will be the first year of high school. Year 7 is already part of high school across the country so this move will bring South Australia in line with other states and territories, as well as other education systems in our state.
Key enrolment dates for year 7 students:
- Students receive an information pack and invitation to our Open Night through their local primary school (Willunga, McLaren Vale, Aldinga, Myponga and McLaren Flat).
- Willunga High School staff visit students at local primary schools.
- Students receive a Starting Secondary School transition pack, including a Registration of Interest form from their primary school.
- Families must return their Registration of Interest form to their primary school, or submit online by Friday 22 May 2020. After this date, you will need to contact your local or preferred government secondary school directly to register your child for year 8.
- Students visit Willunga High School with their local primary school for an orientation and tour.
- Students and families are invited to attend a year 7 family information evening and BBQ in early November.
- Students receive an Enrolment Information Pack from the secondary school they have been allocated to by Friday 14 August, 2020.
- Students visit Willunga High School with their local primary school where they experience subjects at our school.
- Depending on capacity and availability of places, families on the waiting list will be contacted and offered a place.
- Families are invited to attend the year 7 family BBQ and information evening in early November.
- Students visit Willunga High School with their local primary school for a full day where they meet their home group class and teacher and experience lessons at our school.
Willunga High School zone
Our school zone is a defined area surrounding our school from which we accept the core intake of students. A student’s zoned school is determined according to their primary place of residence.
Students residing within the Willunga High School zone will be enrolled if they apply. For students residing outside of the zone, acceptance is subject to capacity.
Click here for a school finder tool that will help you locate which school you are zoned to based on your street address, making it simpler to see your local school zone.
If you are out-of-zone:
Depending on capacity and the availability of places, we may accept enrolment requests from students outside our zone. You can register your interest to attend our school on the Registration of Interest form by indicating Willunga High School as your ‘Choice 1 School’.
If places are available, selection for entry will be based on:
- distance from your home to our school
- curriculum requirements that cannot be offered at your local school
- social and family links to our school
- transport and location convenience
- compelling reasons which prohibit your child from attending their local school
If you are not offered a place at any of your choice schools, you will be added to the ranked waiting list for the school and offered a place if one becomes available.
If there isn’t a place available at your choice of secondary school you will be offered a place at your local school.
Do I need to put my child’s name down for high school?
Year 7 families do not need to register at their preferred high school, but must return their Registration of Interest form to their primary school, or submit online by Friday 22 May 2020. For enrolments in other year levels please contact us for an enrolment information pack on 8557 0100 or complete the Enrolment Enquiry form.
When will I receive an enrolment pack?
Year 7 students will receive an Enrolment Information Pack from the secondary school they have been allocated to by Friday 14 August, 2020.
How do I enrol if at a private primary school?
When will Willunga High School accept students in year 7?
Year 7 South Australian public school students will be taught at high school from term 1, 2022. Access to specialist facilities, resources and exposure to different teaching styles will benefit year 7 students by providing opportunities for deeper learning, greater peer interactions, and greater independence and responsibility. We are committed to ensuring year 7 students thrive in a high school setting, academically, socially and emotionally.
If my child is accepted in Willunga High School, will my younger children have sibling rights?
Students with older siblings at Willunga High School will have sibling rights to enrol at our school, including 12 months from the date the sibling has left.
Will the Willunga High School zone change with the opening of the new birth to year 12 public school built in Aldinga?
A new school in the south will be opened by 2022. Details of zoning and the new southern school are being determined and more information will be made available once confirmed by the Department for Education.
If I’m on the waiting list, when will I be notified if a place is available at Willunga High School?
Depending on capacity and availability of places, families on the waiting list will be contacted and offered a place at Willunga High School in early term 4.
Can I requesting a review of placement offers?
If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your school allocation, you can request a review of the allocation process. Information regarding the review process and timelines will be included in the allocation pack.