Hosting an international student in your home can be an incredible experience, both for you and the student you welcome into your home.
Bring the World Home!
At Willunga High School, we regularly welcome students from all over the world. Short term Study Tour students join us for between 1 to 2 weeks, and longer term students join us for between 1 to 4 terms.
Being a homestay family means inviting a student to become part of your family for the time they are here. It’s a great way to experience another culture without even leaving home.
What does it take to be a Homestay?
There is no such thing as a typical homestay family. You can be single, a couple, family with kids, empty nester or retiree. Whoever you are, what’s most important is that you are committed to the program and provide a caring family for our students.
Every family gets something different from the experience
There is no doubt you will all learn a lot about a new culture, food, language, customs and traditions but you will also have the chance to:
- participate in activities and meet other host families
- be a tourist in your own town as you show them around
- make lifelong friendships with your student and their family
What do students need?
When you host an international student, they become a member of your family. Your student will be a long way from home and in your care so you will be expected to provide them with a safe, supportive and welcoming home environment.
As a homestay, you will be required to provide your student with:
- a furnished bedroom inside the family home (not a separate dwelling)
- all meals
- use of utilities (i.e. water, electricity and gas)
- access to TV, internet
- use of facilities (e.g. iron, vacuum cleaner, laundry)
For short study tours, you don’t need a spare room, students are able to share a bedroom with a local student (same gender).
You will also be expected to:
- support your student in their studies
- monitor your student’s health and well-being
- accept duty of care for your student outside of school hours
- provide a friendly and inviting home for your student
- speak English with your student to improve their language skills
What support do I receive?
Looking after someone else’s son or daughter is a big responsibility but it is not one you will have to face alone. You will receive:
- a weekly allowance of $300
- an initial briefing session and homestay handbook
- homestay newsletters
- homestay workshops covering a variety of topics
- an invite to the annual homestay picnic for families and students
- an exciting range of homestay activities and giveaways
- ongoing support
- access to a 24 hour emergency telephone service
How to apply
You can submit your application online or download the Homestay Application Form below and return it to our school.