Digital citizenship is about confident and positive engagement with digital technology.
The agreement at Willunga High School has 6 conditions of being a digital citizen:
- Respect Yourself. I will show respect for myself through my actions. I will select online names that are appropriate. I will consider the information and images that I post online. I will consider what personal information about my life, experiences, experimentation or relationships I post. I will not be obscene.
- Protect Yourself. I will ensure that the information, images and materials I post online will not put me at risk. I will not publish my personal details, contact details or a schedule of my activities. I will report any attacks or inappropriate behaviour directed at me and I will seek support from appropriate people or organisations. I will protect passwords, accounts and resources.
- Respect Others. I will show respect to others. I will respect my teachers by following their instructions and directions without dissent. I will not use electronic mediums to defame, bully, harass or stalk other people. I will show respect for other people in my choice of websites, I will not visit sites that are degrading, pornographic, racist or inappropriate. I will not abuse my rights of access and I will not enter other peoples’ private spaces or areas.
- Protect Others. I will protect others by reporting abuse and by not forwarding inappropriate materials or communications or by visiting sites that are degrading, pornographic, racist or inappropriate. I will moderate unacceptable materials and conversations, reporting conversations that are inappropriate or unacceptable.
- Respect Intellectual Property. I will request permission to use resources. I will suitably cite any and all use of websites, books, media etc. I will acknowledge all primary and secondary sources. I will validate information. I will use and abide by the fair use rules.
- Protect Intellectual Property. I will request to use the software and media others produce. I will use free and open source alternatives rather than pirating software. I will purchase, license and register all software. I will purchase my music and media and refrain from distributing these in a manner that violates their licenses. I will report vandalism and damage. I will act with integrity.
Any form of cyber bullying will be dealt with through the Willunga High School Behaviour policy and ICT Acceptable Use policy, available on our policies page. Extreme forms of cyber bullying may lead to police involvement.
By enrolling at Willunga High School, students and parents / caregivers are agreeing to the conditions of the digital citizenship agreement.