Our school grounds feature beautiful open spaces, vineyards and a range of facilities, including our state-of-the-art Function Centre and refurbished Learning Hub.
Willunga High School was opened in 1960 and is situated on 17 hectares of land. The facilities of our school are excellent and include a large expanse of picturesque outdoor spaces, including two ovals, tennis courts, an outdoor gym and agricultural land including vineyards, olive groves and a small farm.
Our school has recently undergone a major refurbishment and redevelopment, which now allows students and staff to access state-of-the-art, visually stunning learning spaces.
Agriculture & Horticulture
- Willunga High School has its own working vineyard, consisting of 5000 vines and three grape varieties: Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon and Sangiovese. In these vineyards students are able to learn how to care for and monitor vine health, forecast potential crops, then harvest and crush the grapes for fermentation and bottling.
- With a working olive grove, our students have the opportunity to learn harvesting techniques, olive pressing through to bottling of the olive oil produced.
- Our school also has a small farm, complete with sheep, alpacas, chickens and visiting Jersey calves.
Students with High Intellectual Potential (SHIP Program)
Students identified for the High Intellectual Potential program are involved in:
- Enrichment activities both within and outside of the classroom/school environment
- An Individualised Learning Plan to support their classroom engagement
- Opportunities for extension in their studies (such as undertaking selected subjects in an advanced year level)
- STEM programs and activities
This program is suitable for:
- Students achieving in the top 10% of their same aged peers
- Students who display a high level of motivation toward their studies or area/s of academic interests and abilities
- Gymnasium – The Gym is a large fully heated gymnasium suitable for a variety of sports including volleyball, basketball, indoor soccer and indoor cricket. Additionally, it provides a venue for whole school assemblies and other special purposes.
- Courts – including 6 specialised netball courts, 8 tennis courts, 2 basketball courts and foursquare courts.
- Sporting Ovals – extensive oval spaces catering for our Sports Day, soccer, cricket, athletics and more.
- Outdoor Gym – includes a circuit of outdoor gym equipment on our oval, which is used for varied activities performed during PE class and breaks.
- The Drama / Dance space consists of two specialised rooms, one mirrored with a tarkett floor.
- The Music space consists of a classroom, practice room and two rehearsal rooms, complete with a range of musical instruments available for student hire.
- We have two photography workshops which are well equipped with both compact digital cameras as well as digital SLR cameras, studio lights and the latest computer software to allow for digital editing and manipulation of photographs.
- Our workshops also include printing facilities that allow students to print their images at high resolution.
- Along with the photographic work done in this facility, it doubles as a Computer Aided Design (CAD) facility that allows students to study Technical Graphics as well as allowing Design and Technology students the opportunity to access CAD within the design process in Materials Studies.
Media / Robotics
- The media / robotics laboratory provides students with access to specific electronic equipment and software necessary for the completion of film making, coding and building robots. This includes the Adobe suite, Lego Mindstorm EV3 robots, mBots, Edison robots and full HD video cameras with Rode mics.
- The space also benefits from a green screen wall, allowing media students to add separately filmed backgrounds and special effects into their media products.
- The Visual Arts area features three art rooms, one with a kiln for clay work, and one art / textiles room complete with sewing machines and textile supplies.
- The Design and Technology facilities feature four workshops including a dedicated wood and metal workshop. The other two are set up as combination workshops with one having a Year 8 focus and the other an Electronics focus.
- Each workshop is well equipped with a variety of specialty tools and machinery that allow students to develop confidence and skills in a practical environment and to understand the importance of working safely within the environment.
Home Economics / Function Centre
- We have two specialist Home Economics kitchens, resourced with all the equipment and utensils for students to learn and practice skills required for the preparation and presentation of nutritious food. Each of these have recently been updated to include new appliances and food preparation areas for student use.
- The Home Economics facilities also include two areas for Sewing, Textiles, Fashion and Child Studies. In these facilities students have available sewing machines and overlockers for use in the design of project work. Computer programmed babies are used in this area as part of the Independent Living course taught in Year 10.
- Our Function Centre includes a commercial kitchen and cafe set-up, providing our VET Hospitality students with hands-on experience with commercial equipment that would be encountered in a workplace. The Function Centre is used extensively in the delivery of the Certificate 1 in Hospitality, front and back of house. A commercial coffee machine is also located here allowing students to complete a Barista course in coffee making.
- With a dedicated Year 12 area, students can study in a peaceful environment that is ideal for high levels of concentration.
- The study area is supervised at all times during the school day and is a fantastic space for students to work independently and productively.
- With a STEMworks grant of $2.5million dollars, our school recently opened modern STEM facilities to enrich teaching and learning. These contemporary facilities support cutting-edge teaching and learning approaches to help prepare students for future jobs in a range of industries.
- Our new STEM Suite consists of integrated and collaborative learning areas, breakout spaces and ampitheatre.
- The Learning Hub is a collaborative space incorporating classrooms, a presentation area, casual seating, study booths & Think Tank rooms for interactive tasks & meetings.
- Students and staff can also access the ICT Helpdesk and Library Services. Our Library has a comprehensive collection of digital and hard copy resources, where students can borrow books for class or personal reading. A limited supply of laptops and iPads are also available for loan during a lesson.
Learning Support Centre
- Willunga High School has a dedicated Learning Support Centre, providing targeted literacy and numeracy support program for identified students in Year 8.
- These students undertake a dedicated Intervention class twice a week in place of studying Japanese, where they:
- Develop their basic literacy and numeracy skills
- Develop their communication skills
- Develop life skills, such as budgeting, cooking and problem solving
- Undertake targeted literacy and numeracy intervention programs such as MultiILit, Mathletics and Reading Doctor
- Have the opportunity to catch up on work for core subjects that may be outstanding
- Undertake hands-on activities that enhance their learning, such as garden projects, individual projects and cooking